Wednesday 1 August 2007

Ghosts of the past

The final one today from the team. God; who invented European keyboards?
As an amateur in the trench I'm still trying to get my head around what we can possibly learn from excavation that accounts of the time don't already document. One other interesting element is the way that (as a geochemist by training) I have found the scientific method to be used. I thought that, in archaeology as elsewhere, the evidence would dictate the hypothesis; however so much of the evidence has to be liberally interpreted (such as vague colour change within a clay horizon) as to make the whole discipline appear to have more than a passing element of 'black art.' Certainly, the temptation to fit the evidence to the theory must be incredibly strong. As a result, I am in awe of those that can detect seemingly tiny changes in the profile of our trenches and can assess thier significance. I know I am still in bewilderment at it all... give me a stratigraphic sequence any time!

Bring it on tomorrow... more rusty metal (great war archaeology in a nutshell)

...By the way, I'd just like to say that was stumped after ball number 3 and didn't show any vicious tendencies!

Sue.

No comments: